Power Search or Advanced Search combines search elements to refine a search or limit a search based on criteria configured by your library. You can also produce a browse list of specified items, or perform a call number search. Searches can include a single word or several words with operators and special punctuation. Use Searching Tips if you need help.
Combining Search Elements
You combine search elements in Power Search using Boolean operators. You can combine word or phrase, author, title, subject, series, and periodical title searches.
- Type a Word or Phrase for a typical search.
- Type an Author to search for the name. You can search for an author by the first name, last name, or initials. However, searching by an author's last name produces a more complete list of search results.
- Type a Title to search for an item by title. The search ignores articles as well as other stopwords.
- Type a Subject to search the subject index.
- Type a Series to search for a series title.
- Type a Periodical Title to search the periodical keyword index.
Click Search start your search or Reset to start over.
Limiting the Search
Use Power Search to limit your search based on criteria configured by your library.
- If available, select a Library to limit your search to a specific branch, or select ALL to search in all branches.
- If your library has holdings in a variety of languages, select a Language.
- If your library has holdings in a variety of formats (such as printed music, maps, and equipment), select a Format.
- Select an Item Type to search under if you are familiar with your library's item types.
- Select a shelving Location in your library.
- You can have your search match on a particular part of a catalog record (such as keywords only) by selecting a portion to Match On.
- In the Pubyear box, type the year the item was published.
- You can sort your power search results by selecting criteria in the Sort By box.
Click Search start your search.
More About Searching
Call Number Search
Limit a Search
Search Again from the Search Results Display
Search for Electronic Texts
Search the Internet
Search for an Item Using the Z39.50 Protocol
Search Other Library Catalogs